Nooto's Blog

FF Url Tool »« Teamspeak 3 TTS pack

Update firmware on Samsung 470 SSD

Today I finally received my new SSD, a 128GB Samsung 470 . I wanted to update the firmware on the drive before I installed everything on it, because when updating the firmware all data on the drive gets erased.

Samsung hasn’t made it easy for their users to update the firmware. The hardest part is to get a bootable USB stick with DOS on it. They don’t tell you how to do this and they just assume you have one lying around. I didn’t happen to have one so I had to look for a guide on how to make one. After a bunch of failed attempts and Vista-only guides I found an easy and simple way at this website.

I’ll describe all the steps you need to take to update the Samsung SSD below.

Creating bootable MSDOS USB stick

I zipped up all the files I used so you don’t need to search for them again. Download this file and extract it to C:\.
You should now have the
folder C:\Nooto-BootUSB\. Open this folder and follow these steps:

1. Plug in your USB stick
  2. Start up HPUSBFW
  3. Set Device to your USB stick
  4. Set File sytem to FAT32
  5. Set volume label to something descriptive, for example FWUPDATE
  6. Tick checkbox “Create a DOS startup disk”
  7. Set the path “using DOS system files located at” to C:\Nooto-BootUSB\win98boot\
  8. Click Start and then Yes to confirm
  9. Click OK in the popup window after about 5 seconds to finish

Done! You now have a bootable USB stick. Next we’ll need to get the firmware update files on the USB.

Copy firmware files to USB

Download the Samsung SSD Magician software and the firmware zip file from the Samsung website. Extract the firmware zip file to C:\.
You should now have the folder C:\FW\. Next install the SSD Magician software. When finished follow these steps:

1. Plug in your USB stick
  2. Start up SSD Magician
  3. Click on F/W update
  4. Set “Select USB Bootable disk” to your USB stick
  5. Set “Browse Firmware Update Image” to folder C:\FW\
  6. Click Start to begin copying to USB stick
  7. Click OK in the popup window after about 10 seconds to finish

Done! The USB stick now has the firmware files to update your SSD.

Installing new firmware

Plug in your USB stick and make sure the SSD is connected and then restart your computer. When restarting your computer, set the USB stick as your boot device. If all went well you will now see MS-DOS and soon after that the Samsung update software. Next follow these steps to complete the firmware upgrade:

1. Press Y to accept 2. Wait 5 seconds for scan 3. Press Y to start updating firmware

4. Wait 25 seconds for firmware to install 5. Update complete

Done! The firmware is successfully installed. The application will automatically exit to DOS. You can now unplug your USB stick and restart with CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Cleanup

We left a bit of a mess behind after extracting all those zip files.
Delete the folders C:\FW and C:\Nooto-BootUSB\ so everything is back to the way it was.

Extra info

I have only been able to test these steps under Windows XP 32-bit, so it may not work under Vista / 7 / 64-bit Operating Systems.

As you can see on the screenshots, my drive shipped with firmware AXM0601Q, and was successfully updated to AXM08B1Q.
This was the newest version at the moment of writing.

The latest Samsung SSD Magician software was version 1.1 when I updated my firmware.�
As you might have seen in the screenshot, it  has a nice typo on the F/W update window… Staus instead of Status 😀

So after 25 years DOS still has a purpose it seems. But why do I feel so uneasy updating my brand new SSD with such an old OS? 😯
Couldn’t they have used a Linux live CD, or Windows PE?

, , ,
February 23, 2011 at 15:00
8 comments »
  • March 6, 2011 at 21:39Keith

Hello. Did you find any notes detailing what was included in the new FW? Its a pain to u/g and I only want to if really necessary. Thanks!

• March 6, 2011 at 23:38Nooto

As far as I know, Samsung hasn’t released any change log or release notes.
      I can’t find any on their website, and nothing was included with the firmware files.

• May 2, 2011 at 09:50Someone

Thanks for this. Samsung’s instructions for performing the firmware update were clearly written by a foreigner and don’t make a lot of sense. I’ll consult your instructions when my drive arrives later this week…

• May 17, 2011 at 22:55David

I’ve tried to update my ssd470 128gb from AXM0601Q to AXM09B1Q but not luck so far.
    All I get is an error message saying “error updating firmware max.bin due to device timeout”……..any suggestion.

• May 20, 2011 at 10:42Nooto

When I was updating my firmware I first tried to connect it to an old PC because my new one had not arrived yet. This PC could use the drive in Windows, but gave an error when using DOS update program. It wasn’t a “device timeout error”, but something like “unexpected error” I believe. When using another computer it worked fine.

I guess you can try a few things.

– Try it on another computer, or laptop to see if it works then
      – Try a different SATA port on the motherboard and/or SATA cable
      – Try firmware AXM08B1Q to see if that works (I uploaded it here in case it is no longer on the Samsung website http://www.nooto.com/wp-content/media/2011/02/FW_AXM08B1Q.zip)
      – Check if the drive is working in Windows by putting some files on it

• May 22, 2011 at 12:21David

Thanks Nooto for your reply.

The SSD actually works fine in a laptop with w7 64bit installed. But this firmware thing is annoying me….so much that I called Samsung. They are looking into it and eventually do an RMA. So not problems there. I have tried a couple of things, like to follow your procedure and creating the usb bootable key on a system with XP 32bit installed, just in case…but didn’t work. And I tried your firmware version too…but no good…..Thanks for posting it by the way. I’m going to try to put the SSD in another system, maybe a desktop with a different bios, do the upgrading, maybe, and then put it back in to mine. It’s not really a good solution, like Samsung said. What happened at the next firmware upgrade…Will I have to find another desktop again? Anyway, I will post the results of my testing.

• September 16, 2011 at 19:29Alan

Man I wish this worked for me. I get to the Wait 5 seconds to scan portion and am consistently informed that SSD can’t be found. Its funny because I use it just fine in Win 7, shows up in BIOS. Used AHCI and IDE (Enhanced and Compatible modes. I guess not firmware update for me.

• November 17, 2011 at 15:46CharlieATL

First of all, thanks for starting this blog, Nooto.
    Samsung’s Magician advises me to update my firmware, and of course I got the dire warning of total data & OS loss when I started to do this (from 08 to 09). I called Samsung this morning, and they confirmed that there would definitely be 100% data loss if I updated the firmware. So, the warning is incorrect or the person with whom I spoke was wrong. Either way, I’m not doing it!
    My question/comment is, why would a f/w update re-initialize the disc? Also, Samsung should explain that this will indeed happen, rather than warn that it might.
    Was the support person right? Those of you who have gone from 08 to 09, did you have to reinstall your OS, replace your data from backup, etc? This hardly seems logical to me.